Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The Thrill Is Gone

Wednesday is New Comics Day. That's when all the new releases from Marvel, DC, and other companies hit your local comic store. And on Wednesday, God Created Joy used to describe how I felt when I would make my comic run. Nowadays? Not so much. Only once in the past two months have I made it out to the comic shop on New Comics Day. What was once an eagerly aniticipated part of my weekly routine now barely ranks above grocery shopping. It's no fault of my comic book shop (although, it is farther away since I moved last year), it's actually the publishers' fault.

I don't know what it's been, but Marvel and DC no longer seem to put out a lot of what I want. Hell, I buy as many comics in a month that I used to buy in just one week. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I just don't get the same joy at cracking open a new comic Could it be all the stories about rape and other non-fun topics? Maybe the rising costs of comics up to $3 a pop? Quality comics get cancelled while horrible crap continues to be produced. And the new titles just seem to be unoriginal, bad ideas, or unoriginal bad ideas.

Onslaught Reborn? That was a bad idea the first time around. And, somehow, the execution was even crappier than the original concept. DC's One Year Later? Worked brilliantly for Galactica, like ass for DC comics. Civil War? Might be a good idea, but I don't feel like buying 83 comics to get the complete story.

Anyone else feel a disconnect?

"Oh, it appears I will have to find a new fortress of solitude."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home