Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Dating Week: Sports Gal

"What do you want in a woman?" I've been hearing that a lot lately. Whether it's from well-intending friends who might want to set me up with someone or on the online profiles I've filled out. It's a short little question that is so very difficult to answer. No matter what quality you bring up needs to be tempered. She has to have a sense of humor, but isn't consntantly performing a stand-up routine. She can't be needy, but it is nice to be wanted. She has to be smart, but not too smart cause I want her to put up with my dumb ass. Inevitably, the question comes up: "does she have to be a sports fan?"

When a guy thinks of a female sports fan, Cameron Diaz in Something About Mary asking Ben Stiller if he wants to come inside to watch Sportscenter comes to mind. Well, at least it does for me. And that's a dangerous stereotype to think about. Clearly, there aren't a lot of women who look like Cameron Diaz. Also, there are some women out there who don't know how to be sports fans. Yes, there are a lot of guys out there who have the same problem but I don't plan on dating any of them let's stick to the ladies.

A lot of what I'm going to say is similar to this guy's take on female sports fans. It's much funnier than mine will be so you may want to read that one. But I do have one story to share that will illustrate a great example of a bad sports fan.

I was dating a girl who proclaimed herself to be a fan of a team who won the World Series somewhat recently. She was from that area so she certainly had a geographic right to claim the team. But the timing was a bit off. She never openly cheered the team on until after they had won their third World Series game. Bandwagon jumping is certainly a problem for both sexes, but it's definitely not very attractive. Especially the following weeks when she's throwing it in my face that her team won the World Series. Never mind that I wasn't a Yankees fan (which her team beat) or even a baseball fan at that time. Never mind that she never really talked about her team the following season when they pretty much went in the toilet. She still felt it important to remind me who she rooted for (since the middle of October) and that they won.

If a woman is a sports fan, it's not necessarily a good thing in my mind. It can be, if she doesn't get too crazy about it. I mean, can you imagine a sports fan who's the female equivelant of the Goat? Yeah, kinda gives me the hives.

Tomorrow, I look at whether or not it's a good thing to share some of my hobbies.

"I want a guy who can play 36 holes of golf, and still have enough energy to take Warren and me to a baseball game, and eat sausages, and beer, not lite beer, but beer. That's my ad, print it up."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home