Friday, April 28, 2006

Sucks To Be A Texans Fan

The 2006 draft in my mind will go down as the year that the football gods kick Houston fans in the nads. They wanted the hometown star, Vince Young, would have settled for Heisman Trophy winner Reggie Bush, but end up with Mario Williams. On top of that, the man who took the Oilers away from them ended up with their hometown hero and will play against the Texans twice a year.

So was this a Texas-sized blunder? Will this go down as one of the 100 worst draft picks of all time? To me, this decision just smacks of stupidity. I mean, Charlie Casserly has a history of being a moron. And I really disagree with his choice. If you don't want to take Reggie Bush, I can see that. But then you trade down or take D'Brickashaw Ferguson. I mean, the last offensive tackle taken first overall was Orlando Pace, and he worked out pretty well. The last defensive line player taken first overall: Courtney Brown. He did not work out so good.

This draft was pretty entertaining as they were some surprises, trades, and bonehead decisions. (I'm looking at you, Buffalo.) If you missed me liveblogging, check out this stream of conciousness take on draft day. And here's some random things I picked up from coverage of the first couple rounds:

Personally, I wasn't particularly thrilled with the Bengals top pick. This guy may be great, but he sounds like he's gonna need a lot of work before he makes a positive impact on the field. And then offensive tackle in the second round? I'm not seeing any immediate help from either of them.

I don't know what it is but I can't get enough of Rachel Nichols lately. When she first started showing up on Sportscenter, she just didn't do much for me. But the more I see her, the better and better she looks. Maybe it's because I'm fascinated by a woman who never blinks. I've never seen her do it. Have you?

I was able to flip back and forth between coverage on ESPN and NFL Network. They're a little more critical of the prospects on the NFL's own channel, I was surprised to see. A lot more coach's footage as well as clips from Senior Bowl practices. Still, I was pretty pleased with the inaugural NFL Draft on NFL Network. Not as many bells and whistles but some solid analysis from Rich Eisen and Mike Mayock.

"Not eating meat is a decision. Eating meat is an instinct!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home