Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Following Takes Place...

We're pretty much at the halfway point of Season Five of 24 so maybe I should talk a little about it. Sure, I made up 24mas and briefly touched on the recent 24 doubleheader but I haven't really gotten into it. Certainly not like I did when I broke down the show during Season 3. If you're waiting to watch the show on DVD, you probably should avoid this blog entry. I'm gonna spoil the surprises of a few folks who bite it this year.

Obviously, the season got off to that amazing start with a staggering body count of characters that have a long history with the show. It was brilliant because it worked on two levels. One, Dennis Haysbert has another show he was going to do. And two, the audience and Jack have a history with President Palmer so his fate had a significant amount of weight. And it wouldn't be the only time this year we've said good-bye to an established character. Palmer's death was well done as was Michelle's. I kinda wish Tony had died there, too, cause he kinda went out like a bitch last week. Although, that did hurt Jack quite a bit. I don't think we've seen that much anguish on Keifer's face during the show's run as when he was hugging Tony's dead corpse. I guess I can see why considering he saw the deaths of 40% of CTU's staff, including three major players in the past hour.

I see 24 is also keeping alive a Star Trek staple: the redshirts. You notice how the CTU security guards sport crimson shirts? All the better for them to go charging to their deaths. Sure, they sport ties and badges, but how much does that help against nerve gas? Apparently, not much.

Sure, things have gotten a little kooky at times this year. And disbelief has to be suspended a few times. But this season has definitely provided a lot of good shinola. What's been your favorite part of the season so far? What's been the most shocking thing we've seen this year?

"So if you're looking for some Big-League clout, apply for that little green home-run hitter."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home