Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Ripping Off A Concept From Animaniacs

Remember those "Good Idea, Bad Idea" segments from Animaniacs? I thought it might be fun to take a concept from a kids' cartoon to poke fun at pop culture.

Good Idea: X-Men movie spinoffs
Wolverine and Magneto are officially in the works, but Emma Frost might be the next character to make the jump. This article talks about potential X-Men movie spin-offs than the White Queen. The best of the bunch is based on Peter David's X-Factor. The leader of the current team is Jamie Madrox, who made it on the screen as X-Men 3's Multiple Man. I'd love to see Eric Dane back in that role. Even though he only had limited screen time, he absolutely ruled. Sure, Jamie Madrox was a bad guy but it wouldn't be a big stretch to reform him. After all, he didn't really do anything super "evil" in the movie. Sure, he robbed a bank (or seven) but you can say he only joined the bad guys cause Magneto freed him from jail. Now that he's in government hands, it wouldn't be a stretch that he could turn his life around. Although, I think a private detective agency made up of mutants would make a better TV show than a movie.

Bad Idea: Ultimate Spider-Man #95
Well, the issue was fine. It's not the inside of the comic I had a problem with, it's the outside. I've always been a big detractor from the generic pin-up style of covers that Marvel has switched to for the last couple years. I know you can't judge a book by it's cover, but you aren't gonna get $3 from me if you don't catch my attention with some hint as to what's the crux of the story inside. It's hard to do, but you can actually make that "generic pin-up" decision even worse. Use essentially the same image for the front cover that is supposed to be the "surprise reveal" on the last page. Gee, I wonder who's gonna be the mysterious figure? Maybe the guy on the cover that we haven't seen yet on the previous 20 pages?! Kinda takes away the dramatic impact there, chief. No wonder people wait for the trades. Scrubs.

"I can't talk to you for too long or I'll get real upset. I want you to make a lot of friends. And I want you to be real nice to the girls 'cause they're gonna be real important to you, I swear."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home