Thursday, November 17, 2005

Burgas Scope

So, I was on Monitor Duty the other day when they mentioned Greg Burgas's comics reviews. I think they actually disagreed with him but, to be honest, I didn't even know he was writing for Buzzscope. Hell, one time he outed me as a bedwetter and I didn't even notice until he pointed it out to me. Yes, I know. Slow on the uptake. Anyway, I wanted to talk about some of the comics he said everyone should own.

Automatic Kafka
Uh, I don't own it. Not a good start.

Avengers Annual #10
Okay, I got this one. It's always fun when a bad guy fights someone different. The Avengers go up against the Brotherhood of Mutants. Throw in a pre-Bendis Spider-Woman, a battered Captain America getting thrown through an Avengers Mansion window, and Rogue's first appearance and there's a lot of great things that would take two years to tell in today's current format.

Avengers Forever
I own all of this, but still haven't read it all in one setting. Consider how epic the scope is and the amount of time this covers, that's a bad thing. I moved three times during this 12-issue series and you can bet the issues are split up in 9 different boxes. One day, I'll gather them all together and finally comprehend one of Kurt Busiek's great masterpieces. Or I'll break down and just get the trade paperback to save the effort of actually looking.

Aztek: The Ultimate Man
Definitely a good call. If this were being published today, it would probably be a Top 20 seller. In the 1990s, before Grant Morrison was a household name, this only lasted 10 issues.

"Dark Knight, Dark City" Now this was a good call. Growing up, I put away childish things like comics because I was having a hard enough time with girls that I didn't need superheroes dragging me down. Every once in a while, I would borrow issues from my best friend MOe and eventually I could no longer resist the siren call of comics. This was one the storylines that pulled me back in. The Riddler, who I always thought was lame, was doing some crazy Bat-shit here in a story that also involved America's Founding Fathers. I'll leave it at that but it was a fun story that really stood out to what I was used to reading. It's an interesting tale that does not get a lot of pub so that is my favorite one that Greg pointed out.

His latest declaration involved about 40 issues of Batman and I gotta say, that's a little much. Keep it to smaller arcs, paco.

Burgas's also writing a novel in blog form. Apparently, it's National Novel Writing Month and he's not the only one taking part in the exercise. At the same time, he assumed control of DC comics and spits out a lot of producton on the Comics Should Be Good website. Add that to his own blog and how does he find the time to do all this?

Two words: child neglect.

"This substance, cannibus, is a whole lot less harmful than rum punch, whiskey, nicotine, and glue."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home